Welcome to High Plains Homestead
To date, we have:
- Re-roofed six buildings, worked on the Schoolhouse roof, and added gutters to the lodging buildings
- Heated the pool
- Rebuilt the exterior and updated the duplex interior, rooms 5 and 6.
- Replaced the failing wall in the Cookhouse
- Made a Community Kitchen
- Added flagstone and a large grill to the patio
- Remodeled/upgraded the Sand Creek Cabin, upgraded the furniture
- Added four new RV sites with water and sewer hookups
- Prepared the infrastructure for the new bathhouse that was brought here from Colorado, including a new septic system
- Remodeled the fur shed into the Fossil shed.
- Updated and added electricity to much of the village and community areas
- Moved and graded roads and access on the property to ease access to the new RV sites, and better parking for the Sand Creek Cabin
- Ongoing maintenance on signs, boardwalks, cleaning, re-organizing, polishing, and improving every building
- Turned the Mercantile into a profitable consignment shop
- Ongoing progress on updating infrastructure and amenities to the whole property
And the list of dreams yet to come:
- Getting electricity to the new RV sites and bathhouse
- Picnic tables and a tree for all the RV sites, new and old
- Finish re-roofing all the village buildings
- Re-locate and repair the Homesteader house in the village
- Add a chapel to the village
- Replace or upgrade the pool, possibly enclosing it
- Adding a playground area
- Remodeling and updating the Cookhouse into a private group rental space with updated private kitchen and bath, and screened-in dining addition
- Build an outdoor (gas) campfire ring with seating at the end of Main Street
- Build a new house for ourselves, allowing our cabin to be remodeled for added guest use.
- Turn the area on the Northside of the road into a group RV area, with a pavilion.
- Clean up the barn and corrals and add some farm animals to our Donkeys for kids to enjoy.
With God's blessing, we have done a lot; with His grace, we will see the to-do list done out here where it is "Out of the way and out of the ordinary!"
We are Neal and Heather Wolhart, your hosts at the Homestead! We have done a lot since we purchased this unique place in 2018, and it is all thanks to you, our guests! Here is an update on our progress and hopes for things to come.
Changes are happening, so though we want to keep the Frontier Village and the history of Homesteading at the center of our vision, we are moving the property forward in many ways. To reach our mission statement's intent and make this place a true group destination, we have started on many projects we think will help make your stay with us a true lifetime memory.